GSO Test

Student Guide - Concerns and Complaints

What will happen if I make a complaint?

Any formal complaint from a young person must, in the first place, be made in writing.  You will be given help writing the report or you can dictate it to an adult.  It will then be passed on to the CEO who will take the appropriate action with the matter.

What if I'm the one in trouble?

You can have a friend or member of staff accompany you when the duty person sees you.

What sort of things can you complain about?

These leaflets are kept in the office. If you lose this your tutor will have copies. Remember that you can ask any member of staff for help if you need it.

Sometimes you may wish to complain about something that is worrying you or has made you upset.  For example:

  • You have been bullied
  • You could feel picked on because of your race, size or sex
  • You might not like the food
  • You may have had a sanction imposed and feel it was not fair
  • You might think you have been treated unfairly or have been verbally abused
  • Someone could have hurt you or said things to you that were upsetting

What do I do if I want to make a complaint?

The first thing we advise is talk to a member of staff from the Academy that you feel comfortable talking to.  You can take a friend with you.  If you do not feel happy about the way your complaint has been dealt with you can make a formal complaint.  The process is:

1. You must contact a member of staff and tell them that you want to make a formal complaint.

2. The member of staff will write the complaint in the Complaint Log, which is kept in the Academy office.

3. You will be seen by a member of staff as soon as possible to talk about how you are feeling and why.  Staff will take your complaint seriously and will do their best to sort it out within two days.

4. If you are the person the complaint is about, a member of staff from the Academy will want to see you to discuss things.  Remember to be truthful and fair.

5.  If the issue is not resolved within two school days you can contact one of the people mentioned on the first page. They will help you.

You do not have to tell anyone that you are complaining about them.

If I complain, will it make a difference?

The adults at the Academy will do their best to ensure your concerns or complaint does make a difference.  No one should be made to feel unhappy.  Telling us about how you feel may help others who feel the same, as well as helping yourself.

What do I do if I just want to talk to someone?

All staff are available to talk to. You can talk to any member of staff that you feel able to talk to.

What if I don't feel able to talk to staff?

You can always telephone or ask to see one of these people:

What are my rights?

You have the right to be treated fairly.  Do not be afraid to complain if you think you are being unfairly treated.

Why should I talk about things that worry me?

If there is anything that is causing you concern, you must talk to an adult sooner rather than later, so that a little worry does not become a big worry. They can then do their best to resolve what is worrying you and help you to feel happier.

What should I do if I have something to say that affects everyone?

Either speak to a member of the School Council or write it down and place it in the suggestion box in the dining room.  It can be anonymous but does not have to be.  The issue will then be raised at the next School Council meeting.